Opportunities abound for Ag and Bio students

Erin Beck

SDSU’s Dairy Program is one of two in the nation. The biggest livestock exposition in the country is at SDSU. Undergraduate research in the Agricultural department is a reality, not just a possibility.

Kristen Carlisle, a freshman adviser in the Ag department, said there is an endless number of ways that students can take advantage of Ag at SDSU.

“The most important thing is to get involved in the classroom and in extracurricular activities,” she said. “There are tons of clubs. It’s important to become involved in at least one of them.”

Carlisle said the best time to explore what the College of Agricultural and Biological Sciences has to offer is in the fall at the Ag and Bio Ice Cream Social Club Fair. The ice cream social gives a chance for students to savor SDSU ice cream while seeing what clubs and activities click for them.

Activities that often intrigue ag students include rodeo, Block and Bridle, the Swine Club and meat and livestock judging teams.

For students not in an ag-related major, there are still plenty of activities in Ag and Bio to check out. Never shown a pig before? Then take the initiative and show at Little International in the spring. Want to ride horses and become socially active in the community? Try out the Horse Club.

Carlisle said the key to success is to “step outside of your comfort zone.”