Construction: Union has less than a year to go

Noah Brown

With students now filling The Union, construction continues to roll smoothly toward completion. According to Keith Skogstad, assistant director for The Union, demolition of the former offices of the University Program Council, the Students’ Association, Greek Life and others is roughly 75 percent complete. The steel skeleton of the expansion is scheduled to arrive on Aug. 29.  The expected date of completion for the project remains spring or summer of 2013.

The new expansion will house around 300 new dining seats while expanding student dining options to include Chick-fil-A and Panda Express. The area will also house the new Office of Student Engagement, which includes UPC, SA, Greek Life, Card Services, New Student Orientation and the Office of Career Development. When the new homes for these groups are finished they will offer larger offices and encourage student involvement by returning to the main floor of The Union in the thick of heavy student traffic.

In the interim, those offices have set up temporary bases of operation in The Union and elsewhere on Campus. Currently the UPC, SA and Greek Life offices are located upstairs in The Union. Card Services has moved to Yeager Hall, west of The Union, while NSO is now located in the basement of The Union.