More early releases, CA training in Greek future

ntlowrey

The construction of new residence halls may have consequences for SDSU’s Greek organizations.

In addition to the more than 800 beds expected to be in the new halls, SDSU is looking to allow up to 100 sophomores an early release from the residence halls if they plan to move into a fraternity. The proposal, outlined in the Residential Life and Dining Services Master Plan, calls for fraternities with houses in Greek Village to have priority over those early releases. That proposal has led to some concerns in the Greek organizations not planning to build in Greek Village.

According to SDSU Greek Adviser Addie Borah, the proposal in the master plan is just that, a proposal.

“The University has not cemented the policy,” Borah said. “The document isn’t complete.”

Borah explained that the university has no plans to implement any changes to Greek Life without input from members of the Greek Life community. She said that a committee made up of one member from each fraternity and SDSU Student Affairs staff will be created. Over the course of the semester the committee will create the university’s policy.

“The plan was always to have student input,” Borah said. “Nothing has been pushed on anyone. Every chapter will have a seat at the table.”

Early releases from the residence halls were not the only concern, however. Another part of the master plan’s proposal for Greek Life was to have a member of each fraternity attend Community Assistant training. Some members of the Greek community were concerned about the role those individuals would play in the houses.

“It would come down to what the university wants their role to be,” said Ben Ruggeberg, a member of Delta Chi and Students’ Association Finance Chair.

The CA training, Borah said, would be something that house managers, a position that most fraternities already have in one form or another, would receive as part of their position. Borah stressed that the house manager position would stay the same, only in this instance the training would be provided.

According to Borah, a task force was created over the summer, and a community meeting was held last spring to discuss the issue along with others. The task force, she said, only met twice. This fall’s committee won’t be formed until after the various Greek organizations are finished with their respective recruiting drives after Sept. 22.

Once assembled, the committee will meet several times through the semester and have until January to make a final recommendation.

“We’ve been really open with the community,” Borah said. “We want the students to have a hand in this, we want the Greek community to be invested in this.”

Ruggeberg, for his part, was supportive of the committee and student involvement in the decision making process.

“I wouldn’t say I’m opposed to anything at this point,” Ruggeberg said. “I’m always open to discussion on this topic.”