New residence halls make big impressions

Heidi Kronaizl News Editor

After the anticipated construction of Jackrabbit Grove, the four new residence halls on campus, underclassmen inhabited the halls for the first time Aug. 23.

Construction on Jackrabbit Grove began April 20, 2012. The four new residence halls add 802 beds to campus and gives students more options for living on campus. The residence halls were built to accommodate the high demand of student spaces. To accommodate students during the construction, day rooms in several residence halls across campus were used to for housing.

“The newly constructed residence halls have provided the space needed to return those spaces to students for common use,” said Director of Residential Life Jeff Hale.

Other than providing more space for students, the new residence halls bring a few unique features to on campus living.

“I like our bathroom situation better than a community bathroom,” said Hyde Hall resident Kassie Frieze. 

Jackrabbit Grove residence halls bathroom layout provides each bathroom with community sinks, and stalls that include both a toilet and shower. A feature that is also unique to this residence hall expansion are four person suites in Hyde Hall, and six and eight person suites in the Honors Hall. Other features include walkways so students can walk through the building rather than walking around them. Each floor also has its own laundry, living and study rooms along with full kitchens.

Although the new residence halls were in high demand by students, everything isn’t positive living in them.

“In the older dorms, you can meet people easier,” said Hyde Hall resident Brooke Schwasinger. “Otherwise we have to make a greater effort.”

Schwasinger also noted that guys and girls live on separate floors in Hyde Hall, a stipulation that is a nuisance to many students.

Three of the four new residence halls have been given their official names. While the Honors Hall still has yet to be named, Ben Reifel, Hyde and Schultz Halls have been named after being submitted for discussion by the naming committee. 

The largest of the residence halls is Southwest Hall. The hall is named after Ben Reifel, the first American-Indian that was elected to Congress and served five terms in the House of Representatives. He received degrees in both Chemistry and Dairy Science from SDSU. 

Southeast Hall is named after Hallie Walker Hyde, the first woman to serve as a leader in SDSU’s student body, serving 11 years before women were granted the right to vote in the United States. She received a degree in general science from SDSU.

Northeast Hall is named after Theodore Schultz, the only SDSU alum to be recognized as a Noble Memorial Prize winner. His award is in economic sciences, and received a bachelor’s of science degree in agriculture from SDSU. 

The residents in the new halls consist of a mix of freshmen and sophomores. Although the new residence halls may seem elaborate, there is a cost that comes with living in them. While a large majority of the residence halls on campus are between $1,419 and $1,671, to live in Jackrabbit Grove, the cost per semester is $2,450, being the most expensive place to live on campus. Caldwell and Jackrabbit Village come in second with $2,205. 

Even though there is a large expense to living in the new residence halls, students that reside there enjoy it.

“My favorite part is the air conditioning,” Schwasinger said.