Kickoff Extravaganza proves successful

By Sara Bertsch Lifestyles Editor

The words “kick-off” and “extravaganza” separately promise fun but put them together they promise something even better.

The Wellness Center Kick-off Extravaganza was this and much more. The event began on Friday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. The event was sponsored by HEROH, a group on campus that stands for Helping Everyone Reach Optimal Health.

According to Mariah Weber, Wellness coordinator and HEROH adviser, the event was in two phases. The first phase began at 7 p.m. and went until 9 p.m. It was located inside the Wellness Center and held a variety of activities for those who attended.

“It was kind of a way to get them [new students] over here and let them know what we have and to just get them started,” Weber said.

The climbing wall was made available as well as basketball and volleyball on the courts. They also featured a mechanical bull on one of the courts.

After two hours of checking out the Wellness Center, students went outside where a dance was held with a DJ from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Members of HEROH were serving root beer floats for students.

“Our game plan was from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to get the students in the building and show them what we have got going on, let them participate in activities and around 9 p.m. send them outside to the dance,” Weber said.

There was a large turnout at this year’s Kickoff Extravaganza. Around 600 visitors showed up for the night between the dance and the activities inside the Wellness Center.

“At one point we had a really big turnout. Outside we had a lot of students kind of mingling, talking, dancing and just getting root beer floats. So it was a nice way to say welcome back and have them meet some new people,” Weber said.

The dance was sponsored by HEROH. They also had a nacho bar and hot dogs. The other event was put on by the Wellness Center.

“We do it to welcome freshmen to campus, let them meet some different people and also to welcome back all of the returning students,” Weber said.

HEROH has held a dance for several years. According to Weber, many students and faculty expect it.

One of the purposes of the dance was to get students aware of the Wellness Center and to make them feel more comfortable with the building. According to HEROH president Allison Guindon, the event did just that.

“Just having the fun aspect of it, brings students into the Wellness Center to start with and then it gives them the chance to look at it in a different perspective instead of a new student coming to this big school with all of this fancy equipment,” Guindon said. “We can welcome them and say this is your stuff, your equipment, your wellness center and gives them a chance to get comfortable.”

Another benefit of the event was students could meet members of HEROH and learn about the organization.

“I think it went really well. We had a few HEROH members that were really outspoken and went around and talked to people,” Guindon said. “A lot of people showed up and it’s really great that we have it at the Wellness Center now because it gets students into the Wellness Center to see what it is like and getting them right into meeting people.”