“Jack”-o’-lanterns displayed in The Union as contest begins

By Makenzie Huber Reporter

As students walk around campus today, they might notice something different about The Union. It’s decorated with jack-o’-lanterns carved and designed by fellow students and student organizations.

The pumpkins will be on display at tables on Main Street of The Union from Oct. 29 through 31. Information Exchange in The Union puts on the annual Union “Jack”-o’-lantern contest.

Courtney Donnelli, student manager for Information Exchange and a senior pharmacy major from Lakefield Minn., acted as a main hand putting the contest together this year and is excited for this year’s contest.

“The contest gives the students the opportunity to just enjoy and take part in the Halloween fun around campus,” Donnelli said.

Students and student organizations that wanted to participate in this year’s contest were able to complete forms to register and return it to Information Exchange. Forms were due back on Oct. 17.

A total of 16 students and student organizations are participating in the contest.

“It’s been a really good turnout,” Donnelli said about the numbers this year. “At least from last year it’s better. We only had eight or nine pumpkins last year, so I’m pretty excited.”

Although departments and faculty members were able to sign up through a different form, no departments or faculty members will participate this year.

Donnelli said the contest is a great way for students to have fun and be involved.

“It’s a good opportunity [for students] to partake in Halloween activities throughout campus,” Donnelli said. “Some people don’t get to show off their creativity, so they get to show off their creativity and their Halloween spirit.”

Students will have the opportunity to vote on their favorite pumpkins while they are on display from Oct. 29 thorough 31. The pumpkins are numbered and students will be able to vote at Information Exchange.

This year’s themes are the “Most Spook-tacular” and the most “Jacked” pumpkin, since it is the “jack”-o’-lantern carving contest. Winners in each category will win a gift certificate for a business in Brookings. Winners of the contest will be announced on Nov. 3.