Two on-campus assaults reported

Jordan Smith Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 25, SDSU students received two emails regarding two separate assault incidents on the SDSU campus. One was a sexual assault that occurred in a residence hall on Nov. 23, and the other was a report of an assault in the Larson Complex on Nov. 24.

The first of the emails received read: “At approximately 9 p.m., Nov. 23, the University Police Department received a report from a nonstudent adult female that during the early morning hours of Nov. 23, she had been sexually assaulted in the residence hall she was visiting. The suspect is known to the victim.”

The second read:

“At approximately 3 a.m., Nov. 24, the University Police Department received a report from a male student that he had been assaulted in his residence earlier in the day. The victim was transported by UPD to the Brookings Hospital where he was treated and released.”

There is not believed to be any immediate danger or threat to the community, Don Challis, assistant vice president for safety and security said.

Both incidents of assault are under investigation by SDSUPD. In the case of the assaults, UPD has charged two students.

The SDSUPD Crime Log will receive the most updated events about the incidents. Any charges made in either case will be published in the SDSUPD Crime Log, Challis said.

The emails were sent out as a South Dakota State University Timely Warning, in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Act.

“It is important to communicate with our community,” Challis said.

The Clery Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities across the United States to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. According to clearycenter.org, campuses are required to issue warnings to students regarding incidents on campus in seven major categories. Campuses are obligated to “issue timely warnings about Clery Act crimes which pose a serious or ongoing threat to students and employees.  Institutions must provide timely warnings in a manner likely to reach all members of the campus community.”

These are the first assault events on the SDSU campus that Challis is aware of since he started in March of 2014, according to Challis.

Challis said the emails were sent out to inform students what is going on on campus, in accordance with the Clery act and so that students have information about their decisions. He said that there is information included regarding who students should report to should an incident such as these occur, but will not include information on what students shouldn’t do, wear, etc., as campus safety and security does not want to appear to blame the victim. Other emails or information may follow with what students should do to remain safe, depending on the severity of the situation.

“When you get to be a certain age you feel like you’re not vulnerable,” Challis said. “SDSU is a safe campus, but students should be aware of dangers anywhere they are.”