MyState may get makeover

By PAT BOWDEN News Reporter

Just in the infant stages of planning, the Division of Technology and Security is planning on updating the university’s website, MyState, based on changes that come from the voice of the student body through surveys that will suggest new or better applications of the website.

 hile there is no major makeover planned for the website, the department will take into consideration the suggestions of what features it could improve or add to the new site, or even completely new features that could benefit the functionality and purpose of the website. The surveys can be found in MyState website under “MyInfo” in the survey section.

 n top of this, the department also wants to improve the responsiveness of the website, meaning how well the website adjusts to what device students are logging in on, whether it be a desktop computer, tablet or a mobile phone.

 “We just want to make the website better for the students … One of the main things is making it [MyState] more responsive,” manager of programming in the Department of Technology and Security Wendy Cradduck said. “One of the main goals is to make MyState mobile friendly… MyState is role based, which means the student can see the information that pertains to them.”

 ne speculated idea for MyState is making it an all-in-one website that would house the multiple websites students need to keep up-to-date with for classes, including D2L, WebAdvisor, Jacks email and Mystate itself.

 “We are setting MyState up to be the gateway to everything they need to do here…” Cradduck said.

 ome students, who didn’t know this was a current suggestion for the website, already think having one universal website to go to would benefit not only incoming freshman but upperclassmen as well because it would simplify knowing where everything is.

 “Learning how to use all the sites initially is a learning curve,” sophomore pharmacy student Matt Van Der Werff said. “I feel like it could benefit new coming freshmen combining all the sights in one.”

 nother student, sophomore civil engineering major Kendal Rusten, also has a few suggestions for the website, one of which is simplifying the multiple website situation so there is only one single log in.

 “I wish on all of the websites that they would put links to the other websites, so for especially freshman it would make it easier … I wish they would explain it better because freshman year I never used MyState,” Rusten said. “They should make Starfish easier to find because it’s all the way up in the corner … I think they should [also] take out the D2L email, that could get confusing.”

 yState, which is administrated by the university, differs from the statewide websites that multiple state schools use (D2L, WebAdvisor). Some things are already under consideration for improvement, some of which all students utilize but may not even realize it.

 “[Currently] they [students] can see their schedule, order textbooks, apply for scholarships and even get their parking pass [on MyState]. We are constantly adding new forms for the students and simplifying the process for them. Since we know who they are after logging in, we only ask the information that is needed, and then route the form accordingly,” Cradduck explained. “It’s able to populate a lot of that information, and it connects right to our colleague system (student data system). One thing that we’ve heard about is events around campus, so we could enhance the ability to enter your own events into the system.”

 resently the Department of Technology and Security is beginning to plan the changes for SDSU’s website, and the changes will more than likely occur in the summer months later at night, when the website’s traffic is low, Cradduck said.