Dad’s Weekend connects campus, community

KATHERINE CLAYTON Lifestyles Editor

Cars of varying makes and models were scattered throughout the Animal Science Complex parking lot as owners of the cars stood watch as “car” men and women slowly made their way through the Dad’s Weekend Car Show.

A 1969 Camaro owner, SDSU alum and parent, Steve Angerhofer, brought his antique car to the carshow while spending time with his son for Dad’s Weekend.

Steve and his son, Chris Angerhofer, a junior biology pre-med major, looked at the antique cars on Saturday morning.

“[The cars] had to be good or we wouldn’t have gotten up this early,” Steve said. “[Chris’s] mom came up for Mom’s Weekend … and I thought I better try it.”

While Jason Sternhagen doesn’t have a child at SDSU, he does teach  at SDSU and volunteered his time and antique car for the Dad’s Weekend Car Show.

“I’ve never [showed my car] before and I wanted to try it out and see,” Sternhagen said. To him, having a car show is “a place for car-guys to get together and talk.”

The car show was just one of the events available for the third annual Dad’s Weekend on Sept. 25 and 26. The main events for the weekend included a welcoming reception at McCrory Gardens, Guitars on Fire concert, tailgating and football game.

According to Jamison Lamp, the professional and special programs coordinator in the Office of Continuing and Distance Education, the Guitars on Fire concert was brought in by Woodbine Productions.

“[Woodbine Productions] brings in a higher caliber level of performance than what the weekend could do on it’s own,” Lamp said. “That partnership is really valuable in doing that and so Woodbine had actually searched this performer and kind of got their schedule lined up and we just felt it was a good fit and went from there.”

The other events students and their parents could participate in depended on their interests. Alternative activities included golf at Edgebrook Golf Course, open gym at the Wellness Center, pancake breakfast at the Animal Science Complex, athletic indoor tours, Larson Nature Center, Outdoor Adventure Center, McCrory Gardens, various museums, an ice cream social with Greek Life, Wooden Legs Brewery tour, Campanile climb, Dairy Bar tours and the climbing wall.

“The golf course, which I think is an excellent, really an excellent fit, is doing a buy one green fee, get a green fee free, so we kind of leave that up to the dads and students on who’s buying and who gets in free,” Lamp said. “But I think that’s a really kind of excellent way to do that and get students to get a last round of golf in.”

Another part added to Dad’s Weekend this year was tours of the Indoor Athletic Center. Lamp said the tours were added in response to requests at Mom’s Weekend in the spring.

“We really try to bring that community so not only are those parents getting to experience campus,” Lamp said. “They’re getting to experience the community as well in which their student spends nine months out of the year.”

The first Dad of the Year award was given during a media timeout at the football game against Robert Morris University.

“I think [Dad of the Year is] a fun way to kind of recognize their parents or it can be open to any father figure or prominent figure in those students’ lives,” Lamp said. “It’s a kind of fun way to silently, but not so silently recognize them for the things that they do and kind of show that appreciation.”

An addition to the events aside from community partners was pharmacy students giving glucose and blood pressure checks during a pancake breakfast.

“As student pharmacists, we’re here to promote healthy lifestyles and talk to the dads and moms, if they’re here, and the students about checking your blood pressure, checking your blood glucose on a regular basis and providing some information as well,” said Alex Besey, a senior second-year pharmacy student. “If we can catch an increased blood glucose and high blood pressure, then get them the help they need.”

A freshman pre-nursing major, Michaela Dewald, and her dad, Jim Dewald, planned on looking at the cars at the car show, completing the Campanile Climb, touring the Dairy Bar and “of course, the football game,” Jim said.

Jim took part in Dad’s Weekend because it is “just a way to keep connected down here and see their lifestyle here on campus.”