Students’ Association prepares for spring semester

The Students’ Association discussed what to expect for the spring semester at the first meeting of the semester.

In Committee and Staff Reports portion of the meeting, senators discussed ideas from committees and announcements for the semester, such as:

·      The Performing Arts Center passed through the South Dakota Board of Regents last December.  PAC Phase II is now on stage two of construction.

·      The University Food Service Advisory Committee (UFSAC) is considering renaming Larson Commons.

·      Einstein Bro. Bagels was bought out by Caribou Coffee. Bagels will stay, but soup and coffee will go.

·      A tuition waiver for graduate teacher assistants and research assistants was approved by the SDBOR in December and will take place in July 2016.

·      Tapingo, a remote food ordering service, was launched this semester, but complications with printers are delaying students from using the service.

First readings of amendments concerning the refining of SA bylaws, ensuring a full reading of legislation before meetings and using permanent parliamentary procedure at meetings were added to Monday’s agenda.

An approval of the MEDLIFE constitution was postponed to the next meeting.

The next SA meeting will be held in the Lewis and Clark room in The Union Monday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m.

Election Dates

·     Feb. 1 – Petitions for senate seats open

·     Feb. 8 – Nominations open for president/vice president

*Nominations will be open for three weeks, close and open again from Feb. 22-29.

·     Feb. 29 – Petitions close at 5 p.m.

·     March 22-23 – Elections open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

·     March 24-31 – If Senate seats are not filled, at-large seats applications will be open

·     April 11 – Last SA meeting of the term, transition