Working during summer to earn a dollar

HAILEY KLINE Lifestyles Editor

Students prepare for life outside of classroom

Summer sun and lazy lake days are right around the corner. Students on campus are preparing for the semester to end and summer to begin. 

Some are not spending their summer sleeping in and relaxing. In fact, they’re finding other ways to fill their time during the three-month break from classes. 

Students of South Dakota State are preparing for their summer jobs, internships and volunteer work. 

Emily Bohle, a sophomore nursing major, plans to work as a certified nursing assistant. She finds the job beneficial because she experiences one-on-one encounters with patients. 

“I get to learn how to work with other members of a health care team and learn how to interact with my patient’s family members too,” she said. 

Bohle said there is value in finding a summer job. 

“Doing anything to gain some sort of experience is beneficial,” Bohle said. 

Bohle said her job is very time consuming, working four to six days a week. Because of this, finding time for volunteering is difficult. 

MiKayla Malsam, a sophomore exercise science and pre-physical therapy major, plans to work retail in her hometown as well as build up volunteer hours. 

“I feel that working with people will help me in the long run,” Malsam said. “I will be working with people eventually, so it’s good to get used to it sooner rather than later.” 

Malsam also plans to volunteer at the humane society. She said the effort put into volunteering is worth it in the end. 

“I think it is invaluable to have several hours of volunteer work because it will never disappear. Volunteering is something anyone can do,” Malsam said. 

Malsam said volunteering will help her connect to many people that could be future references. 

Volunteering is not the only way to become connected for future jobs. Jayden Everson, a freshman agronomy major, plans to work for the city of Aberdeen this summer. 

Though it will not relate directly to his future, he said it will still be rewarding. 

Everson said solid and professional relationships with coworkers is important. It could be the difference between keeping the same job forever and moving up the ladder. 

“Working for the city, you get to meet so many new people and make many new relationships that could lead to more jobs down the road,” Everson said.

Everson also said he sees the potential windows that this job could open up for him. 

“I think hard work can be applied to every job,” Everson said. “Everyone can always give more, do more and be more. It’s just a matter of how much they’re willing to put into it.”