Students benefit socially, physically from intramurals

South Dakota State intramurals boast 14 leagues and host 23 tournaments throughout the academic year in which students can participate in.

About a quarter of SDSU students participate in intramurals, according to Chad Vossekuil, the intramural coordinators.

Garrett Keegan, a supervisor for intramurals and a political science and pre-law major, is one of these students. He joined intramurals the first week of school his freshman year, saying it’s been “the best experience I could have in college.”

Keegan started off playing and refereeing flag football, but then joined other leagues and participated in tournaments as well. He chose to participate in a badminton tournament because he wanted to get a new experience and have fun.

“Intramurals is more about building relationships and having a good time,” he said. “Even if you don’t know how to do it, it’s something that you can try here in college.”

Participating in intramurals can be as little or big of a commitment as students want, Vossekuil said. To compete in one season of a league, some students can dedicate as little as an hour each week to participate, over the course of four weeks for a league season.

“We try to make it as easy as possible,” Vossekuil said.

Intramurals offer students a chance to get a mental break from the stress of school or work, get physical fitness throughout the week and interact with other students, he said.

“Because of the multiple benefits that intramurals provides, especially as a new student, … this is a great way to meet people, get involved and to, in essence, experience all that SDSU has to offer,” Vossekuil said. “Because we offer so many things as a program, there literally is something for everyone.”

Intramural league schedules will be posted on the Wellness Center’s website, on hand outs in the Wellness Center and printed on magnets that will be given out during move-in weekend.