MeetState shows off their smooth moves

ALLISON CHRISTENSON Lifestyles Reporter

MeetState’s record number of 850 helpers joined together to make this year’s move-in weekend “a big success.” 

Toby Uecker, the associate director for Living-Learning and Outreach, said all MeetState staff worked diligently Friday Aug. 19 and Saturday Aug. 20 to move in all incoming freshmen and sophomores. 

“One word that I would use to describe [the MeetState staff] is dedicated,” Uecker said. “It’s pretty cool to see everyone pull together.” 

However, in the midst of jam-packed golf carts and cardboard boxes, one incoming student was battling her nerves.

Megan Van Sloten, a Mathews Hall resident from Orange City, Iowa, said she was “a little nervous” to start college, and she wasn’t alone.

“I don’t know why, but I’m nervous,” said Linda Peta, mother of a Mathews Hall resident. “It’s so hard to leave.” 

Though the nerves set in for students and parents, many were also excited. Katrina Perry in Brown Hall said she couldn’t wait to meet new people and Josh Lee in Ben Reifel Hall said they were excited to attend games in the new football stadium. 

“It was great to get all the students acclimated at SDSU,” Uecker said. “We wanted to make the first and lasting impression on students to be a positive one.”

SA President Ally Helms volunteered during MeetState.

“I was so excited to meet all of the new jacks,” Helms said. “I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone this year.”

Whether it was meeting new people at the MeetState picnics or exploring some of the organizations on campus at Engage State, students were immersed in opportunities. That would not have been possible without the help from all the MeetState staff. 

With more than 3,200 students moved in over the weekend, Uecker says he is proud of the staff and what they were able to accomplish.

“The collaboration [between staff and students] impressed me,” Uecker said. “Overall, this year was a big success.”