Hedge named SDSU provost

MAKENZIE HUBER Editor-in-Chief

Dennis Hedge was named South Dakota State’s next provost and vice president of Academic Affairs Feb. 23.

The decision comes after a six-month, nation-wide search. Hedge served as the interim provost since May 2016.

“Dennis is a proven leader who is respected by his peers, and he will elevate the university to another level in his role. It because clear during the search process that Dennis’ energy and understanding of higher education in the state and region will be a benefit to all of us at SDSU,” wrote SDSU President Barry Dunn in an email to staff and faculty.

Hedge served as co-chair of the strategic planning committee as interim provost. He also helped to plan national searches for a new dean of the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences and dean of the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College.

A member of the SDSU staff and faculty since 1992, Hedge previously served as dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions from 2008 until his appointment as interim provost. He started as an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and then moved on to associate professor, professor, head of the Department of Pharmacy Practice, associate dean of the college and dean of the college.

Hedge will help to launch a search for a new dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.

“I am extremely humbled and honored to be the next provost and vice president of academic affairs at SDSU,” Hedge said in a university press release. “Most of my professional career has been spent on this campus and I have witnessed tremendous growth and positive change during that time. I look forward to working with our faculty and leadership to continue those efforts and enhance student success and academic quality through all of our colleges and departments.”

The appointment is pending for approval from the South Dakota Board of Regents. The next SDBOR meeting will be in March.

Hedge will officially begin the appointment March 1.