Finding summer employment and internship opportunities

Kaden Eisenbraun, agriculture science major, talks to a JBS representative at a career fair.  

By LIBBEY MILES Lifestyles Reporter

With summer drawing closer, it’s time to line up a summer job or internship. For students still searching, there are plenty of resources available in Brookings and on campus.  

Sherry Fuller Bordewyk, associate director of career development at SDSU, said students have unlimited options, especially online. Some of her top recommendations were 

indeed.com, the Handshake App, Liveinbrookings.com and LinkedIn.

She strongly suggested the Handshake App because it has jobs specifically offered to SDSU students. Fuller Bordewyk said employers reach out to SDSU because they are looking for the specific skills students have to offer. Students can also see upcoming career fairs and events and pre-register for them on the Handshake App.  

“On whatever site you use, upload a resume, allow your profile to be searched by employers and set an alert to notify you via text or email when new positions have been posted similar to the ones you are looking for,” Fuller Bordewyk said. 

Fuller Bordewyk also encouraged students to attend career fairs held throughout the school year because it gives students an advantage in networking.  

“Nothing can replace face-to-face contact,” Fuller Bordewyk said. “It’s just a matter of taking the time to dress to impress and introduce yourself to recruiters.” 

Lance Gladis, an employment specialist for the South Dakota Department of Labor, suggests their website, 

www.sdjobs.org.  

“We have all types of work for students ranging from manufacturing and assembly to customer service and office work. We also list internships and students can search directly for those from our advanced search screen,” Gladis said. 

Gladis explained the employment rate in Brookings is so low, employers hire college students to fill open positions.  

“It really is just a matter of finding the right fit between your college schedule and the needs of the business. Everyone who wants a job should be able to get a job,” Gladis said.  

Fuller Bordewyk and Gladis also have advice for students on their first day at their new job. 

“First thing is to try to understand very quickly the culture of your office and what expectations come with the culture of your office,” Fuller Bordewyk said. 

She said to be punctual, follow and learn office procedures for email and telephone etiquette, have an attitude that no job is beneath you and take notes when getting instructions.  

Fuller Bordewyk added that it’s always a good idea to educate yourself on the generational differences between you and your supervisor, so you can gauge what they might expect from.  

Gladis said to dress a level above what the interview is for, ask questions during the interview and do research beforehand.  

“You want to know as much about the company as you can,” Gladis said.