Student survey shows high satisfaction among fall graduates

Ninety-six percent of South Dakota State University’s December 2018 candidates for graduation stated they achieved their educational goals in an exit survey conducted by the university’s Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.

The survey also revealed that 96 percent said they received a high-quality education and 94 percent would recommend attending South Dakota State University to others.

“The survey is an excellent benchmarking instrument for student satisfaction and the overall student experience at South Dakota State University,” said Dennis Hedge, provost and vice president of academic affairs. “The results demonstrate our commitment to provide quality education and prepare our graduates for the next phase of their lives. This data speaks to the quality of students we attract, the dedication of our faculty, and the commitment of staff members working in support units and providing services that ensure the needs of our students are met.”

Other topics in the survey also receiving scores of 94 percent or higher were:

• Had their educational expectations met;
  • Were satisfied with their experience at SDSU; and
  • Were prepared to be successful.

The survey also indicated 70 percent participated in an internship, indicating how South Dakota State graduates are prepared to enter the workforce by gaining hands-on experience before commencement exercises take place.

The 2018 Senior Exit Survey is designed to obtain information from graduating seniors on their overall perceptions of their SDSU undergraduate experience, perceptions of knowledge and skills acquired at SDSU, participation in high-impact practices, satisfaction with student service offices, and their graduate education aspirations.

Graduating seniors are required to respond to the Senior Exit Survey as part of their online graduation application. In fall 2018, 522 seniors expressed intent to graduate and participated in the survey. The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment advances the university’s mission by leading, coordinating and supporting initiatives and projects related to institutional planning, assessment and research.