Two types of people celebrate Hobo Day

Do students who aren’t on Hobo Day Committee actually get excited about Hobo Week anymore or is it just a free pass to drink during the week?

We, at The Collegian, have noticed a pattern in the types of people who celebrate during Hobo Week.

Generally, the same faces attend the Hobo Week events like Rally at the Rails and BumFire, but they’re not the same people you would find attending alternative modes of celebration.

The Hobo Day Committee actively pushes against the idea that Hobo Day and Hobo Week appropriates drinking culture — but we can’t think of any other single week during the school year when students actively party on weeknights.

Hence the age-old “Hobo Day” vs. “Hobo Days” debate, or most recently “Hobo Dayz.”

The Collegian shed light on this controversy, during a branding issue between the Hobo Day Committee and the SDSU American Institute of Graphic Arts student design club.

During an interview, Assistant Pooba of Marketing Miranda O’Bryan said “Hobo Dayz” gives the week a negative and alcohol-related connotation, which, she said, Hobo Day isn’t about.

But it is, isn’t it? Jackrabbits are going to celebrate in the name of Hobo Day whether that means attending events or attending house parties.

We, at The Collegian, aren’t going to pretend college students don’t drink during homecoming week. While we don’t advocate it, we don’t think anyone should assume it’s not happening.

The Hobo Day Committee puts a lot of effort into Hobo Week, and it’s a great way to show school spirit, but parties can arguably serve that same purpose.

Some celebrate Hobo Day the way the Hobo Day Committee wants them to, by participating in its events, but some choose to use homecoming to justify partying on weeknights; either way, students are celebrating being Jackrabbits — so who are we to judge how they do it?

The Collegian Editorial Board meets weekly and agrees on the issue of the editorial. The editorial represents the opinion of The Collegian.