Hidden gems of Brookings

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hidden gems of Brookings

Jenny Nguyen 032699

Jenny Nguyen 032699

Jenny Nguyen 032699

Sydney Wood

Dozens of businesses are scattered through the Brookings area, each with unique and exciting opportunities for students to get more involved off campus. The hidden gems of the community can be a great way to get off campus and explore.

Dakota Nature Park is five miles off campus, its scenic ponds, diverse wildlife and walking trails are the perfect way for nature-lovers to escape the stresses of school.

The park has activities for students such as rental mountain bikes, canoes, kayaks, paddles boards, fishing poles and even snowshoes for the winter.

“We’d love to see more students utilizing our facilities, come on the weekend to sit by the fireplace or on the dock, it is a great place to come study,” Stacy Claussen, recreation manager at Brookings Parks and Recreation, said.

Down the highway from Dakota Nature Park is the Brookings Outdoor Adventure Center.

The BOAC has a firearm and archery range and gives students an opportunity to experience something new through informational classes or practice something they love by joining a shooting league.

There is a student membership option for all SDSU students which is $99 for firearm or archery range time or $120 for both ranges. 

For students looking to try something not offered on their meal plan, Flavor Indian & Asian Fare may be the place to go.

Flavor is an Indian and Asian food restaurant located downtown. It is an opportunity for students to try one of the more unique dining options. Flavor also has an international grocery store within the restaurant that has ingredients needed for one to craft their own exotic dishes.  

Flavor is available for students to order for carryout on the Tapingo app.

Another dining option is Cottonwood Coffee and Cottonwood Bistro.

Cottonwood Coffee is a modern coffee shop with a full coffee bar, sandwiches, soups and pastries. The quiet atmosphere provides students a place to study or simply relax with friends.

Kylee Kohls, a junior agricultural communications major, often enjoys going to Cottonwood with friends. 

“My favorite game day brunch is to go to Cottonwood and get our favorite fall drinks and pancakes,” Kohls said. 

Cottonwood Coffee also has a sister store in Brookings, Cottonwood Bistro. The bistro offers a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu.

For those who are looking to build healthy habits while in college is Life Force Nutrition. 

Life Force Nutrition is a weight management center in a coffee club atmosphere. It has a variety of smoothies, energy green tea and herbal aloe concentrate an more products as well.

Nicole Hudson, sophomore agricultural communication major said, “It is very affordable, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new fun experience in Brookings,” said Nicole Hudson, sophomore agricultural communication major.

With an array of options, there is a little something for everyone in the Brookings community.