Alumni open new brewery in downtown Brookings

ABBY+FULLENKAMP%0AOwner+Kyle+Weber+servers+customers+March+12+at+Eponymous+Brewing+Co.+Eponymous+opened+up+March+2018+and+is+located+in+The+Lofts+at+Main%2C+126+S.+Main+Ave.+
ABBY FULLENKAMP Owner Kyle Weber servers customers March 12 at Eponymous Brewing Co. Eponymous opened up March 2018 and is located in The Lofts at Main, 126 S. Main Ave.

A new brewery has come to town for Brookings beer fans. Eponymous Brewing Company is now open at 126 S. Main Ave.

Eponymous opened last month on Main Street. The brewery is the brainchild of SDSU alumni Kyle McElhany and Sean Weber.

Their shared love of craft beers began with homebrewing. With McElhany’s education in microbiology and Weber’s background in business-economics, the two realized they had the potential to launch a successful business.

They joked about it and talked about how “every homebrewer wants to do it,” but it wasn’t until a year ago planning actually began.

“Everything lined up and it just happened,” Weber said.

McElhany and Weber promise a steady stream of flagships to keep any beer nut begging for more. They are also open to suggestions from customers.

“We are able to brew different beers more often,” Weber said. “So, if you want to see something on our beer board, let us know.”

Eponymous features a 13-seat bar made entirely of reclaimed wood and incorporated metal work. All furniture is arranged in the “lounge style” that Weber was hoping they could achieve and passersby can see the sparkling silver tanks through the glass garage doors.

“It’s nice to see Brookings staying current with the trends of craft beer,” said Rosario Aguilera, junior operations management major. “Personally, I’m happy because I love sampling beer. I’m excited to see what they have to offer.”

Weber and McElthany hope Eponymous will be a good addition to the Brookings craft beer scene and Brookings local Dayna Benthin said.

“It’ll be nice to have another place in town to hangout and decompress,” she said.