​​Peterson makes history

Distance runner breaks school mark at Nebraska meet

Marshall Minihan, Sports Reporter

The South Dakota State University Jackrabbits men’s and women’s track teams headed south to Lincoln, Nebraska to partake in the two-day Adidas Classic track meet at the University of Nebraska last week. 

The Jacks competed against South Dakota, Nebraska, Northern Arizona, Texas State, and Wichita State. 

Women

Junior Cailee Peterson not only won the women’s mile, but she also broke the record time for the women’s mile at SDSU with a 4:46.15 finish.

Track and field director Rod DeHaven talked about all that Peterson’s had to overcome since arriving at SDSU.

“Cailee was successful in high school and she gets to college and the injury bug hits,” DeHaven said. “One of the biggest joys of coaching is when you see kids fight through so much. It was really cool to see her have that happen on Saturday.”

In the same event, Jessica Christoffer took the third best spot in 4:57.26. 

Rich-Ann Archer also took third place in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.53 seconds. Archer also competed in the women’s 200 where she placed seventh followed by fellow Jackrabbit Lizzy Gillingham. 

Freshman runner Cerington Jones took fifth place in the women’s 400 final with a quick time of 57.64 

Caitlin Bright placed third in the 3,000-meter run with a personal best time of 10:00.37. 

South Dakota State had three top-5 finishes in the women’s 800. Tori Glazier finished second with a time of 2:16.85 and she was followed by Jaide Geurts, who finished fourth in 2:17.06, and Claire Beckman who placed fifth in 2:17.52. 

Faith Leiseth had a shot put throw of 14.9 meters (48.88 feet) which landed her in 6th place. 

Men 

Jared Wipf won the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 6.80 which is a career-best for the Jackrabbit freshman and takes the third-fastest 60-meter run in South Dakota State history. 

Thailan Hallman tied his career-best in the 400-meter dash with a time of 50.15 seconds and finished fifth in the event. 

In the 3,000-meter run Max Selbach got a time of 8:24.28 and a second-place finish, Ben Anteau ran an 8:33.25 which got him fourth, and with an 8:40.14 finish, freshman Cormick Logue got sixth. 

In the mile, Tom Breuckman led the charge for the Jacks and finished with a time of 4:05.99 and the second-place spot followed by Josh Becker who placed third with a 4:10.35 finish. Gabe Peters finished fifth in 4:10.39 and Daniel Burkhalter placed sixth with a time of 4:10.75. 

SDSU’s 4×400 relay team took the fourth-best time of 3:25.75. Thailan Hallman, Matthew Stahl, Riley Bauer, and Andrew Moeller were the four runners in that event. 

The fourth-place shot put throw went to junior Dominick Etherington. His farthest throw was 16.79 meters (55.09 feet). 

Up next, the Jackrabbits head to Fargo for the Bison Open on Saturday.