SA in Brief

Jacob Boyko, News Editor (He/Him)

During the South Dakota State University Student Association’s meeting Oct. 4, senators were addressed by Hobo Day Grand Pooba Marie Robbins, voted to approve the constitution for a new student group, were updated on campus news and voted to approve three bills.

Marie Robbins:

The 2021 Grand Pooba addressed the senate about a week’s worth of planned activities to celebrate Hobo Day. Oct. 14 is the Hobo Gear Prep Night at 5 p.m. in The Market of the Student Union. Students can make their own buttons at this event. Oct. 18 at 5 p.m. in the VBR marks the return of Bum-A-Meal. Oct. 19 is the Bum Fire where large wooden S and D letters will be burnt. The parade Oct. 23 will feature six bands, according to the committee.

New Club:

The Rhythm Rabbits, SDSU’s new a cappella group, was approved by the Student Association Monday night. The co-ed group will meet Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. The constitution was unanimously approved by the Senate.

Michaela Willis:

Michaela Willis reported to the Senate that the American Indian Student Center grand opening will be postponed.

“There’s a lot of other things going on, and we made a decision to postpone,” Willis said, referring to the recent losses of a faculty member and a student.

Willis also reported that the university has no plans to incentive the influenza vaccine like it has for the COVID-19 vaccine.

Bills:

The Senate passed three bills Monday. Resolution 21-1-R encourages students to get the influenza vaccination. The bill was passed almost unanimously with only Sen. Feldhaus in opposition. Resolution 21-2-R recognizes September as Behavioral Health Recovery Month. The measure passed unanimously. Resolution 21-3-R was introduced to recognize Vice Provost Donald Marshall’s contributions to the Student Association. Marshall passed away Sunday, Oct. 3. The Senate passed the bill unanimously.

Hobo Week 2021

Oct. 14

Hobo Gear Prep Night • 5 p.m. • The Market

Oct. 18

Bum A Meal • 5 p.m. • VBR

Oct. 19 

Bum Fire • 9 p.m. • Backyard

Oct. 20

Bum Over • 7:30 p.m. • VBR

Oct. 21

Service Event • 5 p.m. • Sylvan Green

Oct. 22

Rally at the Rails • 5 p.m. • DT Brookings

Oct. 23

Parade • 9:30 a.m. • Medary Avenue

SDSU vs. UNI • 2 p.m. • Stadium

Hobo Night Live • 7 p.m. • VBR