Students’ Association swears in new leadership, senate body

J. Michael Bertsch, Managing Editor (He/Him)

Students’ Association President Hattie Seten took the podium for the last time during the April 12 meeting as SA transitioned to the 2021-22 Senate body.

“I am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve as Students’ Association President in a year unlike any other, and I am proud of the senators who served campus,” Seten said.

After a year of service, the 2020-21 Senate is now officially done with its term and the newly elected president, vice-president and senators were sworn in at the end of the meeting.

But the 2020-21 Senate made sure to finish strong, passing seven items and presenting four awards.

This includes a resolution in favor of allowing Introduction to Global Citizenship and Diversity (AHSS-111) to fulfill a General Education requirement, as well as two ordinances and three amendments which change SA’s rules and bylaws.

The last order of business for the Senate was to officially approve the General Budget for Fiscal Year 2022.

The Students’ Association Finance Committee recommended a total allocation of $415,335 for student organizations, clubs and programs.

Most of the organizations funded by this budget saw a decrease in funding from FY21 to FY22, but some, like the School of Performing Arts, saw an allocation increase of $11,000 for FY22.

After approval of the budget by the Senate, Pres. Seten and Vice Pres. Reis Bruley welcomed the new president, Andrew Rasmussen, and vice president, Rachel Schöön to the podium for the official transition of power, a moment the two have been eagerly awaiting since the election.

“Rachel and I are excited and optimistic about this exciting new term on the Students’ Association,” Rasmussen said. “We have established a variety of goals we will strive to accomplish and look forward to working with our campus partners to make them a reality.”

After swearing in the recently elected Senate, Rasmussen and Schöön approved the new executive board, a group of four students in addition to the president and vice president that oversee different areas of SA operations.

The 2021-22 executive board is: Blake Pulse as Chief of Staff, Kordell Feldhaus as Finances Chair, Anna Shane as Government Affairs Chair and Lindsey Moser as Communications Chair.

“I personally look forward to building upon the relationship of SA and the campus community to make SDSU the best place it can be,” Rasmussen said.