Robert Kohrman talks building budget with SA

After an off-week, the South Dakota State Students’ Association got things underway again.

Robert Kohrman, vice president of finance and administration, gave a talk to SA regarding the South Dakota State budget overview.

Kohrman, a graduate of the University of Michigan, was selected for that position in July 2018 and previously served as the vice dean for fiscal affairs at Wayne State in Detroit. Kohrman also worked as the assistant vice president for budget and finance at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

During his presentation, Kohrman addressed concerns with enrollment, which will cause about a one percent drop in budget.

According to the presentation given by Kohrman, major university building projects will have a final price tag of $253.5 million.

• Harding Hall – $8.1 million
  • Performing Arts Center – $49.8 million
  • Raven Precision Agriculture – $46.1 million
  • Wellness Center Addition – $15.1 million
  • Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (ADRDL) – $63.7 million
  • Athletic renovations – $46 million
    • Phase 1 – $12.5 million
    • Phase 2 – $30 million
    • Phase 3 – $3.5 million
  • American Indian Cultural Center – $4.7 million
  • SE University Neighborhood Redevelopment Contemporary Housing Project  – $20 million

In other business, SA Vice President Spencer Harwood announced that VeoRide and the city of Brookings had reached an agreement.

“Everybody has signed the contract, now we are just looking forward to the launch date,” Harwood said. “Unfortunately the snow has already started to fall, we’ll see how that works out.”

Student National Education Association (SNEA) requested a special allocation that would allow them to attend the National Association for the Education of Young Children Conference in Washington D.C.

The Finance Committee had previously decided unanimously to allocate zero dollars. After a debate, SA voted 20-6-2 to allocate $3,237.50 for the trip.

Also, the Female Equality Movement club gave a student organization report, where they addressed their mission statement.

Next week, SA will meet at 7 p.m. next Monday, Oct. 15 in the Lewis and Clark room in the upper level of The Union. The meeting is open to the public.