Superheroes, spies and mothers: top 10 movies of the summer

COURTESY OF FOCUS, DISNEY, PARAMOUNT – Charlize Theron stars as a mother stretched to her limits in “Tully.” (left) Josh Brolin portrays the mad titan, Thanos (middle), in the latest Marvel installment, the culmination of a decade of superhero films in “Avengers: Infinity War.” Tom Cruise is back once again as Ethan Hunt, an agent for the Impossible Mission Force in “M:I -Fallout.” (right)

Editor’s Note: This list was made subjectively and was done by the reporter who viewed these films in the time available to them. Not every film from the summer was seen, including those that received a more limited release in select cities.

10. BlacKkKlansman

Director Spike Lee’s movies are often called “joints,” and if that’s true, this summer flick is made of some pretty bomb kush. Telling the true story of a black undercover detective who infiltrated the Ku Klux Klan in the 70s, the movie is funny, timely and terrifying in its closing montage.

9. Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

A small documentary doesn’t usually stand a chance in a summer movie season, but this one holds its own. “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” is a beautiful ode to Fred Rogers, the creator of “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” TV program from the 1960s. Extremely sentimental and emotionally honest, the film takes a deep dive into the life of a television great.

8. Hereditary

It’s sometimes difficult to be original in the horror department nowadays, but “Hereditary” proves there’s still space for ingenuity in this genre. Centered around a grieving family in the shadow of a demonic cult, this tiny horror flick broke through to mainstream success this summer. Though it’s a bit subversive, the movie is downright appalling if you can read between the bed sheets.

7. Sorry to Bother You

“Sorry to Bother You” is many things: a biting critique on white privilege, a hilarious and absurdist comedy and the heroic tale of a black telemarketer in an alternate reality. It’s also the punk film 2018 deserves and easily cements Boots Riley as a rising writer and director.

6. Deadpool 2

The first “Deadpool” set a high bar for the sequel after fans obsessed over Ryan Reynolds’ portrayal of the “Merc with a mouth.” But this sequel acts as a step up from the original, offering even more action and more honest, uncomfortable jokes.

5. Incredibles 2

The 14-year wait was well worth it for this Pixar sequel. “Incredibles 2” picks up right where the first installment left off with the Parr family – and we’re left wondering how we were ever able to wait so long. Gorgeous animation and more family antics make this the best family flick of the summer.

4. Eighth Grade

“Eighth Grade” is a strange film to watch during a summer movie season crammed with special effects-heavy blockbusters. The film follows Kayla Day as she traverses her final week of eighth grade while juggling social anxiety, puberty and an unhealthy relationship with her phone. But underneath the awkwardness of her social encounters, there’s a beautiful message about self-reliance in this modern slice-of-life flick.

3. Avengers: Infinity War

How does a man become a god? We get the answer to this question in the latest entry to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we find our favorite superheroes up against the best and most formidable villain in the franchise yet: Thanos. With wonderful cast chemistry and a breakneck pace, “Infinity War” proves the Marvel formula is still alive and as potent as ever.

2. Mission: Impossible – Fallout

What more could be added to the sixth installment of an action franchise? Apparently quite a bit as “Fallout” boasts a plethora of unbelievable set pieces, a wonderful villain and another globe-trotting fight against nuclear annihilation. Excellence seems to be standard practice for this franchise.

1. Tully

Many films explore the trials of being a parent, but few with this one’s unapologetic honesty. “Tully” is a comedy dancing on the edge of being a tragedy. Charlize Theron is a heartbreaking (and emotionally exhausted) hero of a mother trying to do her best and watching her is absolutely fulfilling. The film should be shown in every high school sex education class to demonstrate what true parenting is like.