Greek Man, Woman of the Month: October

SUBMITTED Tucker Hammer of Sigma Phi Epsilon and Makenzie Huber of Chi Omega have been named the Greek Man and Woman of October.

Greek Life would like to recognize Tucker Hammer as Greek Man of the Month for October.

Hammer, a nursing major from Sioux Falls, is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon and serves as vice president of programming.

Hammer said Greek Life has given him opportunities to grow that he wouldn’t have had otherwise — such as meeting new people.

“I’m surrounded by leaders and it’s been a great influence on how I view leadership and how I choose to lead in my own life,” Hammer said. “It’s also given me an opportunity to give back to Brookings by featuring programming that is geared toward improving our community.”

He is involved in the STEP Team, Order of Omega and Capers on campus, as well as the American Legion Pancake Feeds in the Brookings community.

Academic success is part of SigEp’s philosophy of diligence, which Hammer works to uphold. His accomplishments include being on the Spring 2017 dean’s list and being accepted into Order of Omega.

Greek Life would like to recognize Makenzie Huber as Greek Woman of the Month for October.

Huber, a journalism and political science major from Sioux Falls, is a member of Chi Omega and serves as co-director of marketing.

She is involved on campus as editor of The Collegian and a member of the Journalism Club and Department of Journalism and Mass Communications Advisory Council.

She exemplifies Chi Omega’s values of campus involvement, professional development and scholarship through accomplishments such as earning dean’s list each semester, being accepted into multiple honor societies, and earning multiple regional and national journalism awards.

Huber said Greek Life completed her college experience.

“Greek Life has defined who I’ve become in my college career,” she said. “It’s a challenge and a promise to myself that I can achieve more than what’s expected of me. I’ve found friends who share the same values and ambition as I do in this organization, and I can’t be more thankful.”