Greek Man and Woman of the Month

John Schuh of the Delta Chi fraternity and Madelynn Hotchkiss of Alpha Omega Epsilon sorority.

Greek Life would like to recognize John Michael Schuh as Greek Man of the Month for September.

Schuh is an Elk Point native majoring in economics with a business specialization at South Dakota State. He is a member of the Delta Chi fraternity and serves as the treasurer.

He works with the Brookings Public Library to help set up the annual book sale and works with the Habitat for Humanity to help teach building skills through their Women Build program. Schuh is involved in Pride of the Dakotas Marching Band, Concert Choir, Statesmen, Changemakers Club, Collegiate Entrepreneurship and State A Thon as a morale captain. He exemplifies his fraternity’s value of developing character through his participation in campus organiations and work within the community.

Schuh said he has gained skills that will benefit him as a professional.

“Greek life has given me the experience to adapt to the situation at hand and work with the people around me to accomplish similar goals,” Schuh said.

Schuh has had multiple opportunities and recognition from the effort he’s put toward his community involvement and academic pursuits. This includes receiving  a vocal scholarship, traveling to west Africa to gain international business experience and traveling to Spain with the Concert Choir.

Greek Life would like to recognize Madelynn Hotchkiss as Greek Woman of the Month for September.

Hotchkiss is a Brookings native majoring in Mechanical Engineering at SDSU.

She is a member of the sorority Alpha Omega Epsilon and serves as the Membership Educator.

Hotchkiss works directly with the Brookings High School marching band.

She teaches the high school percussion line, where she is the front ensemble caption head, meaning she is right below the band director. She is most often leading rehearsals for the full percussion section.

She tries to ingrain perfection, passion, and percussion with leadership and friendship into her students.

Under her direction, the Brookings High School Front Ensemble has won the caption award for Best Front Ensemble.

Madelynn is displaying the pillars of leadership and professionalism by not only being involved on Exec board with AOE, but also being a leader in the community.

When asked about how Greek Life has impacted her, Hotchkiss said, “Greek life has given me a home on campus. There’s almost always a friendly face in my classes to help me with homework or exam prep in that particular class. It has also impacted me by providing me with a resource to ask questions about my major in specific. Greek Life has also quite literally given me a home as I share an apartment with other Alpha Omega Epsilon members.”