“I’m Ready for Summer” triathlon prepares for 19th year

SUBMITTED

SUBMITTED

Emma Anderson, Lifestyles Reporter

On a spring day imagine prepping, either alone or with friends, for one of the most strenuous and rewarding events to come to campus. There is nothing but miles of bike paths, running lanes and swim laps between you and the finish line.

Join individuals of all ages and abilities as they swim, bike and run their way through the Wellness Center’s annual “I’m Ready for Summer” triathlon on April 27. This year marks the 19th annual adult triathlon and the 7th annual kids’ triathlon.

“We have a lot of beginners out there, but we also have some experienced people as well. It’s something everyone can do and that is what we really try and encourage it,” said event director and Wellness Center Recreation and Fitness Director, Shari Landmark.

In previous years, the kids’ portion was divided based on age groups. However, new this year, the kids’ triathlon — which is designed for youth between the ages of five and fourteen years old — will consist of a short and long course.

“We might have an inexperienced fourteen year old that maybe wants to tackle the short course, but we also might have an experienced six year that wants to do the long course,” Landmark said. “So, we decided to drop age groups and we think that will be very beneficial so that participants are at a comfortable level.”

The individual and team triathlons consist of a 500-meter swim in the Wellness Center’s pool, a 12.4 mile bike ride around campus and a 3.1 mile run that finishes in the end zone of Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium. In order to compete in these competitions, individuals must be fifteen years of age and teams must consist of two or three people.

Professional triathlete, Weston Christensen, is one of the competitors who has individually participated in the “I’m Ready for Summer” Triathlon in previous years.

“I think the best thing about this triathlon is the fun attitude everyone brings,” Christensen said. “For most people, it is the first triathlon of the season so everyone shows up ready to have fun.”

Creating a team is also a great way to still enjoy the competition if competing individually sounds too intense.

“If you maybe haven’t been training it is a great way to pull some hall mates and get together and have a fun time,” Landmark said.

This event takes place on the brink of finals week so it can be the perfect opportunity to relax and enjoy the nice spring weather.

“Taking a break from studying and exercising is a perfect way to make sure you are taking care of yourself during finals, and it will more than likely increase your focus and performance for studying and exams,” said Wellness Center Operations and Events Coordinator, Carson Petersheim.

As if simply having an excuse to get outside and take a break from the studying is not incentive enough to participate, T-shirts, snacks and other prizes are provided with every registration.

“There are prizes for the winners of each age group, all of which are items that have been donated from area businesses,” Petersheim, said. “Each participant will also get a drawstring bag during packet pick up that includes all of their race day gear, as well as various coupons and goodies from area businesses.”

The cost to participate as a team is $90 and as an individual is $60 as long as registration is completed before April 25. However, there is an option to register the day of for a slightly higher cost.

“Part of the Wellness Center’s mission is to enrich the quality of life, so this event just shows that fitness and recreation can really happen your entire life,” Landmark said.

For more information about pricing, registration, volunteering and start times, go to: https://www.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=8623