Personal Finance, EMT and ROTC classes teach lessons that will work beyond the classroom

Lynn Klavetter

Lynn Klavetter

Tired of spending hours studying for required classes that you think you will never use? Although several classes may seem that way, there are certain classes that will benefit everyone no matter what career they enter.

Personal Finance, Business Administration 380, covers a multitude of lifelong skills in managing money.

“We cover investments, common stock, stock options, mutual funds, preferred stock and bonds. About 40 percent of the class is on investing money,”.attorney and professor of economics Pat Lyons said

“The second part of the course deals with insurance, health and disability, homeowner insurance and automobile insurance. In the third part of the course we talk about buying a home,” said.

The class, which is taught only in the spring and has no prerequisites, fills up right away each semester ,with most students being seniors.

“I get students from every conceivable major because they are interested in the topic covered: money,” Lyons said.

Students taking the course receive instruction on important decisions they will ultimately have to make someday.

“The bottom line is that you, the students, cannot depend on somebody else to make the financial decisions for you. You have to know what is going on. You can’t depend on your insurance sales person, stockbroker or your spouse. You have to be the brains. It is something everyone can learn.”

“It’s a great course because it’s relevant. It’s practical. It’s meaningful. And it’s about the stuff the students are interested in,” Lyons said.

Students who have taken the class appreciate the knowledge they have gained through it. “It covers real world issues that are going to affect every person’s life once they get out into the real world. It deals with issues that will affect everyone and that everyone is going to need to know about,” senior Jason Sutton said.

In contrast to learning valuable information about investments, Mil 101, Introduction to ROTC involved beneficial skills for all students.

The class, not only for people involved in ROTC programs, meets once a week, and the class is credit free.

Seniors Tasha Hofer and Becky Carlson chanced upon the class.

“We were over in the ROTC building and Sgt. Chavez convinced us to join,” Hofer said.

Hofer recommends the class because of its various activities.

“It’s a fun class. You get to go rappelling and go down the shooting range and learn how to shoot a rifle and M-16,” Hofer said.

The course offers training in several areas of daily living.

“We learned how to read a map, carrying techniques, emergency rescue techniques and about the chain of command. You learn a lot of practical skills that will be useful throughout life,” Hofer said.

Introduction to ROTC gives a positive outlook towards health.

“It encourages you to stay physically fit,” Carlson said.

The students also gain a broader perspective on what ROTC has to offer.

“Sgt. Chavez introduces you to all the opportunities and scholarships available through the ROTC program,” Hofer said.

Another class that involves physical training is Health 364, Emergency Medical Technician, EMT.

“You learn how to deal with emergency situations. When you are in a situation where most people would panic, you will be the person who is calm and knows what to do,” sophomore Karen Gutzman said.

Gutzman encourages anyone who wants to help others to take the course.

“The more trained people there are, the better the chance the patients has of surviving,” Gutzman said.

Trained people who do not go into the medical field have another advantage, it could possibly help land a job.

“You are trained to handle emergency situations, so your employer knows that you can stay calm in those situations,” Gutzman said.