Officials want to add majors

Justin R. Lessman

Justin R. Lessman

SDSU officials want to add two new academic majors to the university’s curriculum.

They plan to ask the Board of Regents for permission to study the proposal’s feasibility at the board’s meeting Thursday.

Michael Reger, SDSU’s executive vice president, said the university wants to create majors in Software Engineering and Global Studies.

“It’s an intent to plan,” he said. “That means it’s the first step in the process of actually getting two new majors at SDSU. We need to show the Board that there is a need for the majors and a need to look into the possibility of offering them.”

Reger said action on the issue would be limited to the BOR authorizing a further study of the proposal.

Also on the Thursday agenda is a report about SDSU’s fall 2002 enrollment numbers and discussion of the Student University Digital Enterprise (STUDENT) information database program.

The meeting on Thursday begins at 9:30 a.m. in the west end of the Volstorff Ballroom.

Reger said he expects enrollment numbers of all six state universities to be released either during the Thursday meeting or just before it in the BOR’s customary news conference at 9 a.m. in the Pheasant Room.

“The Board does a media briefing before each meeting,” Reger said. “They could well release the enrollment data there.”

Discussion on the STUDENT Program will likely update the progress on creation of the database, Reger said.

All meetings will take place in the student union.

On Wednesday, Robert Tad Perry, executive director of the BOR, will host an executive session at 6 p.m.

At 2 p.m., the committee on Academic and Student Affairs will meet in the Campanile Room and the committee on Budget and Finance meets in the Volstorff Ballroom.

On Thursday evening, the Regents will attend a reception and dinner at SDSU’s new Performing Arts Center. The meetings wrap up Friday after a 7:30 a.m. breakfast with Perry and SDSU President Peggy Miller.

All meetings, with the exception of Executive Sessions to discuss personnel issues, are open to students and faculty.