Enrollment hits record

Justin R. Lessman

Justin R. Lessman

A record 9,952 students enrolled this fall at SDSU, an increase of more than 6.4 percent over figures from fall 2001.

SDSU has 602 more students than last fall’s 9,350, which is the highest enrollment increase of the state’s universities.

Enrollment figures were announced Thursday at the South Dakota Board of Regents’ meeting in Brookings.

SDSU’s enrollment increase helped set a record of 30,072 students enrolled in South Dakota’s six state universities, an increase of 4.3 percent over last fall.

Of the six state universities, Black Hills State University in Spearfish and Northern State University in Aberdeen were the only ones who saw enrollment decrease from last fall.

SDSU President Peggy Miller said the increase in enrollment numbers is an indication to her of a strong belief in the importance of education.

“It bodes very well for the future of South Dakota that such a high number of young people and their families are investing in higer education,”she said.

The fall 2002 data not only showed an increase in the number of students at SDSU, but it also showed an increase in the number of full-time students.

Among the six state universities, SDSU had the highest increase of full-time equivalent enrollment?more than 508, an increase of 6.6 percent.

Regent Pat Lebron said that the increase of credit hours is very impressive.

“I want to commend SDSU,” she said. “They must be doing something right. More students are taking a heavier load and will graduate on time. My best regards go out to that institution.”