University Lutheran Center Caters to Students’ Needs

Tanya Marsh

Tanya Marsh

It’s blue. It’s one block south of Brown. It’s the University Lutheran Center, and it’s here for you!

The Rev. Robert Chell said while he’s in charge of orchestrating the three weekly services, the monthly service project, and other activities of the center, he considers those things to be his secondary ministry.

“I once explained it to my intern pastor like this: If somebody knocks at the door and says ‘Do you have a minute?’ your job is to say yes.”

With that mindset, Chell, who has been a campus pastor for 23 years, serves SDSU.

Chell considers the center to be “the student worship center” for students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds.

The weekly services are Sundays at 11 a.m., Mondays at 9 p.m., and Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. Regular University Lutheran Center attender Nicole Becker said the times make the center appealing to students.

“Service is at 11 on Sundays — people can sleep in!”

Aside from that, Becker, a senior chemistry major, enjoys the contemporary worship style as well as the social activities of the center.

Each of the services is unique. The Monday night services consist of student-led worship, which is new to the center and usually draws about 15 people. Wednesdays are meditative, quiet times, and also have a following of about 15. Sundays follow more of a typical church service pattern, and are generally attended by about 55 people.

Chell just wants a chance to be a part of students’ spiritual lives.

“We’re all in this journey together,” he said.