Volleyball team takes first win

University Relations

University Relations

Sophomore Minette Ridenour recorded career highs with 26 kills and 22 digs to rally South Dakota State past Saint Martin’s (Wash.) in five games to open the Jackrabbits’ 2004 volleyball season at the Seasider Classic, Friday, in Laie, Hawaii.

The Jackrabbits won by scores of 28-30, 30-22, 20-30, 30-18 and 17-15 in the two-hour, 15-minute match.

Middle hitters Kim Bostrom and Carley Boll contributed 18 and 11 kills, respectively, while freshman Kristina Martin added 12 kills and a .429 hitting percentage (12 kills, 0 errors in 28 attempts) in her collegiate debut.

Kristie Klusaw tallied 48 set assists to go along with nine digs, with Stephanie Behm contributing 18 assists in a reserve roll. Sarah Simet notched 20 digs and three service aces, with freshman Samantha Pearson adding 12 digs.

Later Friday night, SDSU faced Brigham Young-Hawaii, ranked 18th in NCAA Division II. The Seasiders rallied from a two-game-to-one deficit to defeat the SDSU volleyball team in five games. They won by scores of 18-30, 30-26, 25-30, 30-22 and 15-10.

Senior middle hitter Kim Bostrom paced the Jackrabbit attack with 15 kills and five block assists. Minette Ridenour posted her second consecutive double-double with 14 kills and 14 digs.

Sophomore middle hitter Carley Boll contributed a career-high 12 kills and freshman Kristina Martin played another solid match with 10 kills and eight digs. Kristie Klusaw tallied 49 set assists.

Defensively, Sarah Simet led the Jackrabbits with 21 digs, while Samantha Pearson added 13.

University of Nebraska-Kearney, the third-ranked team in NCAA Division II, swept SDSU Saturday in the finale of the Seasider Classic.

Minette Ridenour led SDSU in kills with 11. Kim Bostrom and Kristina Martin also reached double figures with 10. Stephanie Behm recorded 34 set assists.

Defensively, Sarah Simet and Ridenour shared team-high honors in digs with eight.

Hawaii Pacific used a balanced attack to defeat South Dakota State 3-1 in collegiate volleyball action Sunday night.

With the 30-17, 28-30, 30-17, 30-26 victory, the Sea Warriors improved to 6-1 on the season. SDSU dropped to 1-3.

Sunday’s match marked the end of a season opening four-match road swing in Hawaii for the Jackrabbits.

The Jackrabbit offense was paced by Kim Bostrom, who recorded 14 kills. Freshman Amy Anderson came off the bench to record 10 kills.

Sophomore Stephanie Behm notched 41 set assists and Sarah Simet led SDSU defensively with 13 digs.

HPU held a .310 to .103 advantage in hitting percentage and 12-6 blocking edge. The Sea Warriors are ranked 12th in NCAA Division II.