SA deals with voting registration, NDSU/SDSU rivalry

Heather Mangan

Heather Mangan

Students’ Association Senators were able to ask questions and voice concerns about the new dining service locations at their weekly meeting hosted in DePuy Military Hall Monday evening.

Before the meeting, the senators were fed box meals, courtesy of Dining Services.

Robert Burns of the political science department spoke to the Students’ Association about registering students to vote. He said they are already working with Residential Life and Resident’s Assistants to raise voting registration awareness in the residence halls.

He said there will be tables set up for two days, dates as yet undetermined, in Larson Commons, Medary Commons, DePuy Military Hall and the breezeway of the Rotunda.

“We are trying to coincide an effort outside of Res Halls in effort to register all students to vote,” Burns said.

Burns asked the senators to sit at the tables for one or two hours and help register students. He said students will be able to register in Brookings County or in their local counties.

SA President Amanda Mattingly then gave an update about plans for the NDSU/SDSU rivalry game Oct. 9. She said they will be selling key chains that resemble the trophy to pay for the actual trophy. There will also be a reception before the game and an awards ceremony after the game.

Kimberly Harer, the University Program Council president, gave a report of its upcoming events. She said they are helping out with the Take it to the Streets event on Thursday. The event will be held on Main Street and start at 6 p.m. The UPC is also holding an Extreme Camping Trip Friday and Saturday. It costs $10 per person. Students can sign up for the trip at the Info Exchange.

After the UPC update, Justin Larson spoke on behalf of the Residence Hall Association. He said they are selling shelves for the new lofts for $15. RHA will also be holding Hall Government orientation Oct. 12.

Dean of Student Affairs Marysz Rames asked the Students’ Association for two senators to be on a committee to look at the delivery of student health at SDSU. She said they will compare SDSU’s student health program to other local and national colleges and universities.

Before adjournment, Mattlingy reminded senators that there will be no meeting next week because she and Vice President Dough Timm will be in China on Students’ Association business.