Volleyball team splits home opener

Casey Wonnenberg

Casey Wonnenberg

In their first two home games of the year, the young Jackrabbit volleyball team went 1-1. The Lady Jacks (6-8) lost to National American University (9-3) on Friday in four games, but defeated Dickinson State (8-7) on Saturday in three.

“We did a good job (on Saturday) with keeping our heads up and coming back from last night (Friday),” said head coach Andrew Palileo.

While the Lady Jacks struggled to work together against National American, they looked invincible against Dickinson State. To top the victory off, senior Kim Bostrom became the ninth player in SDSU history to reach the landmark of 1,000 kills in a career.

“I was more than pleased with our performance tonight,” said Bostrom about their victory against the Blue Hawks, “We were more relaxed and had fun.”

Bostrom led the Jacks on Friday with 15 kills. On Saturday she added another 11 to propel SDSU to a victory.

Freshman Kristina Martin and sophomore Minette Ridenour led the Jack’s offensive attack against Dickinson State with 12 kills each. Sophomore setter Kristie Klusaw contributed 26 assists in the team effort. Defensively, the Jacks were led by sophomore Sarah Simet’s 19 digs.

“If we would have played last night (against National American) like we did tonight (against Dickinson State), the turnout of the two games would have been the same,” said senior Sarah Biggerstaff, who had six blocks against National American.

On Friday, the Jacks won the first game 30-23. In the second game, SDSU had four opportunities to win the game. The Mavericks held off the Jacks and went on to win that game 35-33. The tide of the match had altered, and the Mavericks won the next two games 30-19 and 30-17.

“We have a strong offense and defense,” Simet said, “We just need to play together.”

The Jacks volleyball team continues their season on Sept. 28 against Drake University at Des Moines, Iowa.

#1.885937:3733140519.jpg:volleyball .jpg:SDSU middle hitter Kim Bostrom hits one past a National American University defender.:Mike Carlson