SA hosts open forum for District 7

Heather Mangan

Heather Mangan

Student Association President Amanda Mattingly announced that SA will be hosting an open forum-type debate for the state house and senate candidates in District 7.

The SA met Monday, Oct. 18.

The candidates are Roger Prunty, Rick Widman, Sean O’Brien, Larry Tidemann, Tom Bezdicheck and Orville Smidt.

The candidates will be answering SA senators’ prepared questions.

The debate will be held Oct. 27 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Larson South. It will be broadcasted by X107.1 FM.

In other SA business:

* Marysz Rames, dean of student affairs and SA advisor, said that Dr. Tom Jelke, of Solutions Inc., is at SDSU take a look at the Greek system.

“We are looking for him to develop a strategic plan for our Greek system,” Rames said.

He will talk to Greek council members, presidents and members of SDSU’s fraternities and sororities.

He will send an outline to the Greek council in November and December that will improve the Greek system, Rames said. The univesity will begin implementing the plan during spring semester.

Jelke is contracted with SDSU for a year and will answer questions for them as they adapt to the system.

*Mattingly announced at the meeting that a senator from the College of Engineering has resigned.

Senator James Beatty resigned because of “personal issues,” Mattingly said. The College of Engineering will now only have two representatives, Seth Cooper and Kevin Meier.

* Mattingly said that she and other senators will be going to the Board of Regents meeting Thursday and Friday in Rapid City.

* Finance Chair Jessica Mason said that the SA will begin reviewing budgets at SA’s next meeting.

* The University Program Council announced that 2004 Hobo Day stickers are available in the UPC office, located in the temporary University Student Union.

The next SA meeting is Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. in the NFA, but the room number is not yet known, said SA Administrative Assistant Line Stevens.