The House That Won’t Die

[email protected]

[email protected]

The fact that discussion about Woodbine Cottage is continuing shows that there is a major flaw. I think Stephen Van Buren made a good point when he said, “The building is no longer historic, but only old fashioned.” They added on to the building, how is that preserving history…it’s not, that is adding on new components. If it’s historical, it should be preserved as is and just fixed, not total renovated. The house has not had insulation since 1881, why start now?I understand that the money came from the HEFF, but the building does not meet certain criteria, like benefitting the students. Being on the Hobo Day Committee, I was looking forward to the Dinner being there so I could actually go inside of it for the first time in my 6 year college history. SMALL PROBLEM, because of the Renovation, the dinner will not be held there. It was called “our home,” yet I have never stepped one foot in it and refuse to associate it as “my home.”Our SA President Amanda Mattingly said that “I guarantee that students are not suffering or going without because of these renovations and improvements.” If that is true, why did student clubs like the men’s hockey team receive 22% less money? That is a STUDENT organization, now I would think if $450,000 came from students fees for the house, some of that might have been taken from the men’s hockey team. The men’s team was in the National Tournament for the 2nd time in 5 years, so we reward them by cutting their funding? Also, the Women’s Hockey Team did not even recieve enough money to pay for practice twice a week. That does not even include games or travel. So, how are the students not suffering? That is just two programs that took major hits financially…how many other student programs lost money that “wasn’t due to the missing $450,000 in Student Fees.”

Heath IsaacsonSecondary EducationBrookingsFormer President/Player for SDSU Men’s Hockey TeamCurrent Head Coach of SDSU Women’s Hockey Team

(605) 651-0005