Club hockey beats USD in two games

Faith Moldan

Faith Moldan

Though not an official University athletic team, the men’s club hockey team has done well in competition and fan support so far this season.

After big wins over Iowa State University Oct. 29 and 30, the team faced USD in another double header at Larson Ice Arena Friday and Saturday.

In the first period of Friday’s game, SDSU jumped on USD for a 20-9 shot advantage. SDSU also outscored USD 3-1 in the first period.

“In our concentrating on offense we were giving up odd man rushes at our goalie,” head coach Marty Schipull said.

USD began to even things up in terms of shots taken, SDSU 12, USD 14. SDSU continued to outscore USD 3-2 and took a 6-3 lead.

SDSU continued to play well and came away with a 9-4 win.

Sam Shaw, a freshman from Pierre, recorded 27 saves as goalie Friday night.

Eight different players added goals for SDSU. Sophomore Ryan Nelson from Brookings scored two goals to lead the team.

The second game, Saturday night, was closer and harder hitting.

The teams were even in shots with 13 each in the first period.

SDSU went into the second period with a 1-0 lead and came out firing with a 17-9 shot advantage.

Penalties began to mount for both teams creating a lot of 4-on-4 play.

SDSU came away with a 4-1 victory.

“The rivalry in hockey (between SDSU and USD) has returned after seven-plus years,” Schipull said. “It was a hard fought two games. Our goalie did a very good job again and we back checked and played better “D” than the first game.”

Goalie Dan Ingmansen, a sophomore from Brookings, blocked 31 of 32 shots Saturday. Offensively, four players, junior Adam Nelson from Huron, sophomores Giles Stifter and Dustin Goranson from Hutchinson, Minn., and freshman Roy Sando from Huron, each contributed one goal. Sando also had two assists.

The team travels to St. Cloud State on Nov. 12 and 13 and to the University of Minnesota-Duluth Nov. 19 and 20. The games at Duluth are a change to the schedule as the team originally scheduled could not make it.

The next home game is scheduled for after Thanksgiving against Dordt College. Look for schedules in an upcoming Collegian.