Students take advantage of two new campus clubs

Amber Armstrong

Amber Armstrong

SDSU has two new clubs on campus: the American Humanics and the Chicanos in Action.

The Students’ Association approved constitutions for both clubs at their Nov. 1 meeting. Each group submitted a copy of their bylaws to SA and members of the clubs spoke to senators about the importance of their club. The clubs’ constitutions need SA’s approval to become an official university club.

The purpose of the American Humanics club is to help students prepare and become certified to work in nonprofit agencies in the United States.

The American Humanics club currently has about 20 members from several majors.

“This club works for anybody that wants to work for a non-profit organization,” said club member Jessica Boersma.

She encourages anyone to get involved.

“It’s a great opportunity to learn something new,” she said.

So far the humanics club has worked with the United Way helping with its fund raisers, and it has helped the Red Cross sell survival kits. In mid-April, the club plans on working with other students to build a Habitat for Humanity house.

Being certified by the American Humanics gives students an advantage when applying for nonprofit positions, said president of the humanics club Alyson Dufault. She said to become certified, students must complete the leadership and management of nonprofit organizations minor. They also must be actively involved in the humanics club, complete an internship at a nonprofit organization and attend the American Humanics Management Institute which is a national conference where students participate in workshops and gain special training. The next humanics conference is scheduled in Atlanta, Georgia, Jan. 5 through 8.

Their next meeting will be Dec. 1 at 5 p.m. in NFA 236.

SDSU’s other new club is Chicanos in Action club.

The main objective of the Chicanos in Action is to introduce the Chicano (Mexican-American) culture to SDSU students and faculty.

The club was started by seven Chicano students from California who noticed that the Latino and Chicano populations on campus were growing rapidly. They felt that a Chicano club could be a place where Latinos and Chicanos can find support. The Chicano club is not only open to those of Latino or Chicano descent, but to anyone who wants to broaden their cultural knowledge is welcome to join.

“The purpose of the club is to teach about our culture. We are looking for people who are really interested in learning about the culture and are willing to get involved,” club vice president Nicholas Rodriguiz said.

The Chicano club has some activities planned for the near future such as tutoring Latino and Chicano elementary students in their English classes. They are also planning on holding a cook-off to show students how a traditional Mexican dish is made.

Plus, the club members plan to hold a forum to teach students and faculty members more about the Latino and Chicano culture.

“They are proud of who they are and want to educate the community about their culture,” said the club’s advisor, Rozhyer Aware.

The club is in the process of arranging a trip to California for its members sometime next semester.