Campus Briefs

Expand your horizons at social The Office of Multicultural Affairs is hosting a Meet and Greet Social Sept. 30 in the Tompkins Alumni Center.

The Meet and Greet Social allows people to meet the staff of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, said Rozhyer Aware, coordinator.

Attendees of the social will also meet students involved in the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

“The great thing about it is that you get to meet people of ethnicity or people who are involved in diversity issues, and with that, you can create a network on campus,”Aware said.

The social begins at 7 p.m. and everyone is invited, said Aware.

“It’s open to all faculty, staff and students who are interested in diversity issues or who want to get involved with student culture affairs,” she said.For more information, contact Aware at 688-6129.

Political interns wanted for LegislatureThe South Dakota Legislature is now taking applications for interns for the 2005 legislative session.

The legislature will hire 22 students to work closely with majority or minority leaders or with one of the 13 legislative standing committees. The internships are paid and run from Jan. 10 through the first week in March and academic credit is available.

Interns may be expected to assist leaders with scheduling, attend committee meetings and report the status of bills back to the leadership, do legislative research and reply to constituent correspondence.

All interested students are encouraged to apply. While preference may be given to South Dakota residents or upperclassmen, the only requirement is that applicants are full-time students enrolled at SDSU.

Applications, due Oct. 15, are available from the Legislative Research Council, (605) 773-3251, or on-line at http://legis.state.sd.us. Application and information materials are also available through the SDSU CAP Center and Dr. Bob Burns, (605) 688-4909 or [email protected].

Native Americans speakers to lecture at conference Four speakers will share their views at the 16th Annual SDSU conference entitled “Consider the Century: Native American Perspectives on the Past 100 Years.”

The event will take place Friday, Oct. 1 at the Performing Arts Center in Brookings. All sessions will be held in room 111.

The conference schedule is:

9 a.m. to 9:50 a.m.- Lenora Hudson of the Oglala Sioux Tribe. She will present her views on definitions of American Indians during her presentation.

10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.- Kim TallBear of Sisseton, a member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate. She will share her dissertation topic that is about American cultural beliefs about DNA and how such ideas might change definitions of what it is to be Native American.

1 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.- Tex G. Hall, who is serving his second two-year term as President of the National Congress of American Indians. Hall is one of the leading voices representing American Indian issues on the national level, and he will share some of his views on those issues during his presentation.

2 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.- David E. Larsen of the Lower Sioux Mdewakanton. He will present his views on historical and contemporary misunderstandings between tribal people and others, and offer suggestions for improving relationships.

The conference is co-sponsored by the South Dakota Humanities Council, SDSU, the SDSU Native American Club, the SDSU English Department, the SDSU Journalism Department and the Brookings Area Reconciliation Council.