Professor’s attention makes student wonder

Kristin Marthaler

Kristin Marthaler

Dear Kristin,

Being a freshman this year, there has been a lot I have had to get used to. One thing that seems to keep weighing on my mind is one of my proffessors. I had him in one of my first classes first semester, and now I have him again. At first I though it was nieve freshman falling for a teacher. But now, I feel that I am really falling for him. He keeps flirting with me, and making subtle hints. Do I tell him?

~Hot for Teacher

Dear Hot for Teacher,

The first thing I must say, is you need to make sure the feeling is mutual. There is a possibility you could be mistaking his nuturing mannor for actual affection.

Some teachers in this institution really care about their students. They want them to succeed, and teachers do the best they can to help you through college.

Secondly, if you find out that the feeling is mutual, than you must wait until you are out of his classes to talk to him about it. It is actually illegal for a teacher to have a relationship with a student while that student is in their class. So if you really care for this proffessor, respect his job, and wait to tell him.

Also, you might want to keep in mind, that since you are a freshman, he probably sees thousands of students in his classroom a day. If you have one class in the Rotunda, that is already four-five hundred students. Maybe start looking around and see if he is acting this way around anyone else. Watch his actions, and see if he uses the same gestures and attitudes towards other students. If so, it may be best to keep it on the ‘down low’, and chalk it up, to a freshman crush.

I know we are not in highschool any more, and things are a little different in college. So get to know him a little better, and figure out the situation a little more before you make your move. What’s meant to be is meant to be, and things will work out in the end.

Send your questions to [email protected].

#1.885465:1428305115.jpg:kristenmug.jpg::