Shannon Schlagel presses on

Casey Wonnenberg

Casey Wonnenberg

Even though she is graduating, senior women’s basketball player, Shannon Schlagel, is not quite ready to leave.

“SDSU says you can go anywhere from here, but I kind of like it here,” Schlagel said.

The team has been successful all four years that Schlagel has participated in SDSU basketball. During Schlagel’s freshman year in 2002-03, SDSU elevated their playing level to Elite Eight status. As a sophomore, Schlagel was one of the NCAA Division II Champions. In 2003-04, SDSU won the North Central Region and was NCC Co-Champion. She has started all four years at SDSU.

Schlagel is on the current leader list in several categories: career scoring, career offensive rebounds, career defensive rebounds, career 3-point field goals, career steals, career rebounds, career assists and career field goals.

“She is a very versatile player,” said women’s basketball head coach Aaron Johnston. “Since she can play inside and outside, she is very hard to defend.”

Schlagel recently became the current career scoring leader with 1,782 points.

She also holds the career free throws record with 381 and the career defensive rebounds with 645.

Schlagel, from Raymond, SD, attended Clark High School. As a sophomore at CHS, she was second-team all-state. During her junior and senior years, Schlagel achieved all-state honors.

“She’s a winner. She’s been successful wherever she’s been,” said Johnston.

Schlagel attributes much of her success to her parents and teammates.

“My parents have been very important parts in my life. They have installed a hard work ethic in me,” said Schlagel.

Schlagel said that her teammates from high school and college have pushed her to become a better player.

Although Schlagel can score points and defend her opponents, Johnston said he feels that her best contribution to the SDSU team is her leadership.

“She leads by example,” said Johnston. “She works very hard and is a great teammate.”

As Schlagel graduates from SDSU, she will be closing an important chapter of her life.

“Most of all, I will miss my teammates and the trips,” said Schlagel.

Schlagel feels that the hardest part about being a collegiate athlete is time-management. Trying to manage athletics and academics can prove to be a difficult task. After graduation, Schlagel should have more spare time.

“I love sports. In my spare time, I enjoy watching and playing sports,” said Schlagel. “However, I do enjoy playing the piano.”

After graduation, Schlagel would like to find a business job in the area. She wants to stay in the area, close to her family and friends.