Students can afford to donate to tsunami victims

I believe that people have an intrinsic good.

This is my main reason for not believing heavily in social programs. I don’t think our government should be in charge of forcing people be generous. It’s my (possibly naive) belief that if you give people freedom they’ll do what is right.

That’s why I am disappointed in many of my collegiate peers.

Between 140,000 and 170,000 people died in the Dec. 26 tsunami, and our country gave $350 million in aid. That wasn’t meant to be the only financial support we gave, but rather a start, or an example for this country’s citizens to follow.

Hansen Hall is currently doing a drive to raise money that would, in part, go to support Tsunami victims. They’re goal is $760, which could be reached by each resident giving $2. At the time this was written only 30 some odd dollars had been donated.

You can’t tell me that every college student can’t afford $2! I am paying my own way through college, but I still by a pop every once in a while or splurge on eating at Taco John’s or Subway. If I skipped this just once or twice, I’d save enough to donate.

I will give people the benefit of the doubt. In their crazy, busy college schedules, they’ve perhaps just forgotten about the world outside of Brookings. The news coverage of that horrific event has already dwindled, and it’s not the first thing on everybody’s minds. Unfortunately they still need our help, and the only way that many of us can provide help is through a cash donation–no matter how big or small.

Maybe you’re thinking, “What can $2 really do?”

Just think, if every student on this campus donated $2, we’d have more than $20,000. Then if you figure in the entire campus population–faculty and other employees–our $2 per person would add up quickly.

If you visit the USA Freedom Corps web-site (http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/), they have a long list of charity groups that are safe to donate to. Anything from the Red Cross to UNICEF to major religious organizations can be found.

I challenge you to give what you can, if you haven’t already. I truly believe what goes around comes around. I know that we’re not in any danger of being hit by a tsunami any time soon, but you never know when you’ll be asking for help.

Miranda Malo is a junior ag/journalism major.

#1.885441:4121763657.jpg:Mirandacolumnmugshot.jpg::