SDSU Music Department has many events planned

Jesse Batson

Jesse Batson

With the spring semester comes new musical events, courtesy of the SDSU Music Department.

This semester, there will be a mix of traditional events as well as a few extras.

“We host the state music conference here in February,” says Dr. Corliss Johnson, music department head.

Fifth-year senior and member of the women’s choir, Erika Rorvik, is most looking forward to the Festival of Women’s Voices on Feb. 10 because: “It’s going to be this massive amount of women singing together as a group.”

“It will be the women’s choir, the Augustana women’s choir, and 180 high school girls from across the state,” said Rorvik.

It will be the first time the event has ever been held at SDSU.

“It’s completely new,” said Rorvik. “It’s never been done before. A couple of years ago, we got a new director, Dr. Biddle.”

Rorvik credits Biddle as being influential in the success of the women’s choir.

“We’ve been really lucky to have Miss Biddle come here. Our choir has increased in huge numbers,” Rorvik said.

Rorvik, an English major, notes that many of the members of the women’s choir aren’t even music majors.

“There are so many of us that love to sing,” said Rorvik. “Even though it’s not our major, it’s still a passion for us.”

Johnson doesn’t have one favorite event, but he is especially looking forward to seeing the progress of the students at concerts of the Spring Festival in April.

“It allows me to hear the music the students have done all semester,” Johnson says.

“The event highlights the work of the students and faculty.”

There will also be a variety of other shows throughout the spring semester, including the Spring Festival and Senior and Faculty recitals.