New card locks offer protection

Leslie Warnke

Leslie Warnke

As long as residents and staff of Mathews and Brown Hall have their university ID, they won’t need to worry about forgetting their keys.

Card lock systems have been installed on the doors of Mathews and Brown Halls as a test. A software company that currently works with SDSU offered to install the locks on campus as a way to test its product.

“We don’t know what student response will be,” said Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Doug Wermedal. “The test is to find out. There’s a chance we may only use the locks for short-term housing, like for summer camps. It may not be a system we use all over.”

The card locks were installed for other reasons, Wermedal said.

“First for security. There’s been a growing emphasis on security on college campuses,” he said.

Residents and staff in Brown and Mathews have access to the buildings just as they would with normal keys. The card lock system reads each person’s ID card, and the person gains access to the building if their card is approved. Cards from residents in other halls will not unlock the doors.

The card locks were installed on the two outermost entrances to the lobbies of both halls before spring break. Staff members had their first experience with the locks during break, while students were introduced to the new locks upon their return.

Mathews Hall Director Kim Kiber said she saw many students attempting to open the doors with their cards before they were activated. She thinks student reaction will be positive.

“I haven’t heard a lot,” Kiber said.

Lindsay Garton, a freshman resident in Brown Hall, said she hasn’t used the card lock system yet but thinks it will be more convenient.

“It’s easier to swipe a card, and I can’t always find my keys,” said Garton. “I can get to a card faster than keys. It’s one less thing to carry around.”

#1.885243:1876166077.jpg:Dorm key cards-close Mi.jpg:A student uses his ID card in the swiper.: