CAP Center strives to help students

Brent Clouser

Brent Clouser

You can go anywhere from here and the Career and Academic Planning (CAP) Center can help you do so.

The CAP Center offers services that are focused on helping students prepare for academic and career transitions. The CAP Center is a place students can go to improve academic success and help with career and employment planning. The CAP Center offers a wide variety of services, most free of charge, to students attending SDSU.

Dianne Nagy, a recruiting coordinator at the center, said, “We prepare students to enter the workplace and help them in their job search. We help students to develop skills to find a job they want and work as a liaison between employers and students.

The first major way the CAP Center can help students is in choosing a major. Many students come to college unsure of what they really want to be or what they want to do with their life. The center offers career counseling and career planning, where the student meets with a career counselor and decides on a major or other options if they want to change majors. A student may take assessments via computer that are designed to help identify skills, interests and values in relation to the world of work and employment options within your major or desired major.

The CAP Center also helps students with career and employment planning. The center helps students with different job-seeking strategies and writing their resume and cover letter. Students can set up mock interviews, some with local businesses, where the interview is videotaped and critiqued by a CAP Center employee.

The CAP Center also has a web-based system that offers a free service for students to post resumes online and for employers to post job positions.

Employers are able to post interview schedules. Students are offered an e-mail notification system to update them on job opportunities and a reference file system that, at the request of the student, sends a letter of reference to the employer.

The CAP Center is located on the second floor in Medary Commons and can be contacted at 688-4153 or on the web at careercenter.sdstate.edu.

#1.885283:3649178183.jpg:CapCenterAa.jpg:The CAP Center provides many services and helps students make plans for the future.: