Snowstorm slows Little International

Crystal Mohrhauser

Crystal Mohrhauser

Despite a snowstorm, SDSU students continued their quest to put on the 82nd Little International.

Due to the weather conditions, the normally packed Animal Science Arena was host to contestants from only nine schools. Rapid City and Chamberlain entrants and spectators spent the night to ensure their presence at the largest two-day, student-run livestock exposition in the nation.

Around 200 college students took the opportunity to sharpen their judging and showmanship expertise in several different contests.

Ninety-nine collegiate staff members worked hard throughout the year to organize, promote and manage a successful agricultural production.

Brian Fruechte, a senior from Pipestone, Minn., majoring in Ag Business and Business Economics, served as this year’s manager.

Nicole Frutiger, a senior animal science major from Martin, decided to compete in the horse judging competition held on Friday afternoon.

“By competing in judging contests, I can learn more about what to look for when selecting animals to include in my own operation,” said Frutiger.

Nicole Potter, a senior from Redwood Falls, Minn., competed in several judging and showmanship contests. Because of her skills and dedication, Potter earned the prestigious High Point Upperclassmen Award. Along with this honored award, Keith Larsen of Wolsey was awarded the High Point Underclassmen Award.

Once the judging events and showmanship contests concluded, the champion and reserve showman in each species were invited to compete in a round robin competition, in which each showman must showcase his or her talents by showing horse, swine, beef, dairy and sheep. At the end of the night, Steven Muller, a senior from Davis, was honored with the Champion Overall Showman trophy. Katie Wirt, a freshman from Parker, earned Reserve Overall Showman.

#1.885251:35019676.jpg:novice sheep.jpg:A few collegiate students try their hand at fitting and showing a lamb at this weekend´s livestock show.: