Student Union celebrates with reopening

Crystal Mohrhauser

Crystal Mohrhauser

SDSU students have a new place to call home.To many upperclassmen, the University Student Union was a place to hang out, play a game of pool, have dinner, get Hobo Dough and purchase textbooks. Now with the recently re-opened Student Union, underclassmen finally get to experience the central hang out.”The union is like a living room, and I hope students realize that we have a union,” said Adam Karnopp, program advisor for university programs. “The union is a place to study, put on events, and hang out. It’s a social hall for all students.”To raise awareness of the newly remodeled student union, grand reopening events will take place Sept. 19-24. Throughout the week, students will have the chance to win prizes, sample food and tour the expanded building.Festivities kicked off at 4 p.m. Monday with a live band showcase, co-sponsored by State Tech and KSDJ. The free concert took place in the Volstorff Ballroom, located on the main floor of the Union.The University Programming Council will sponsor a free movie night beginning at 9 p.m. on Tuesday in the Volstorff Ballroom.On Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 800 students will have the opportunity to use a passport system to guide themselves through the Union to win door prizes, see new rooms and learn what services are available for them. Each service provided by the union will feature a special prize. After completing the tour, students can enter their passport into a grand prize drawing.In addition to the open house, UPC is sponsoring a lecture given by Dr. Gary Telgenhoff at 7 p.m. Wednesday evening in the Volstorff Ballroom. Telgenhoff will speak on his experiences as a crime scene pathologist.Thursday’s activities include a dining service vendor fair. From 1 to 3 p.m., students can sample food and provide input on their favorites. Dining services will showcase new food concepts, which include Mongolian food and a pasta bar. Comedian Patrick Candelaria will perform at 7 p.m. in the Market on Thursday. The Office of Multicultural Affairs is sponsoring Candelaria in appreciation of Hispanic heritage month.Community members, students and faculty members are invited to explore the renovated University Student Union on Saturday before the football game against Cal-Poly. Guided tours will be available throughout the day.Through these promotions, students can learn about the expansion and can be more aware of the benefits of the union. “Hopefully, students will know what the union has to offer and keep using it,” said Karnopp.

#1.885021:1208327959.jpg:union01_tm.jpg:The University Student Union will celebrate its grand reopening the week of Sept. 19-24 with tours, prizes and programs throughout the week.:Troy Miller