2005 full of great sports moments

Mike Miller, Ball Talk

School is back in session, and another semester of the Collegian published. I hope everyone had a wonderful break, even with the extra week compared to most schools.

The year 2005 was filled with a variety of stunning moments, some more memorable than others. I’d just like to talk about a few of my favorites.

My opinion about the Vikings making it to the Super Bowl was obviously a little obscene. They did not even make the playoffs. But then again, the Packers did not either. Next season will hopefully bring new life to Minnesota because so far, the Timberwolves are not going to get us anywhere.

The National Football League had an interesting season, both on and off the field. From Terrell Owens being kicked off the Philadelphia Eagles team, to the “sex boat” incident with the Minnesota Vikings.

Football fans in Texas have the best and worst of both worlds. They have the best collegiate football team, the University of Texas Longhorns, and the worst professional football team, the Houston Texans.

This brings me to the next topic I’d like to write about, college football. With 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart at quarterbak and 2005 Hiesman Trophy winner Reggie Bush at running back, the University of Southern California (USC) Trojans had one of the most powerful football programs in the nation. Many experts thought the Trojans would win their third consecutive national title. The University of Texas put an end to all of the USC hype and silenced their own critics. I personally dislike the USC football program, however, Bush is amazing. It is kind of like Randy Moss and the Oakland Raiders.

Some people probably did not even notice that the National Hockey League was locked out for a season. Well it was, and this year it finally came back.

The year was disappointing and thrilling at the same time. The New Orleans Saints had some of the worst luck. Hurricane Katrina devastated the place they call home, and the Saints began to realize the importance of home field advantage. The Saints faced the New York Giants in Week Two in the New York Jets’ home football stadium. New York was proclaimed as the visiting team, however the game was played in New Jersey. The Saints managed to go 3-13 on the season, putting them in a good position for the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. I had some personal interest in the Saints because quaterback Todd Bouman came from my high school and he got some serious playing time towards the end of the season. Some may remember Bouman when he played for the Vikes. With the Saints having a high draft pick this year, they have the opportunity to draft a quality quarterback, such as Leinhart or Vince Young.

I found some other small stories in 2005 interesting. One of the most amazing catches I have ever seen took place this year. Alabama wide receiver Tyrone Prothro caught a pass off a defender’s back and fell into the end zone for a touchdown. Difficult to explain in words, it was simply amazing.

In basketball, another amazing play was made by a high school athlete from Minnesota. It was the 2005 Minnesota State Basketball Championship at the Target Center in Minneapolis. Blake Hoffarber, a sophomore guard, while sitting on the floor, made a basket to send the game into overtime. His team went on to win the championship. That shot won the young kid an ESPY award from ESPN for most amazing play.

At the Nov. 27 Eagles-Packers game, Christopher Noteboom of Tempe, Ariz. decided to spread a powdery substance all over the football field. It was not anthrax, sugar or baby powder ? it was his mother’s ashes.

There are more stories of 2005 that I’m sure you could think of, but these are the ones that stuck out the most to me.

As for 2006, the Steelers will defeat the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL in the Motor City. Reggie Bush will go number one in the draft. The Timberwolves will not even make the playoffs, especially after blowing a 19-point lead against the Philadelphia 76ers. And last but not least, the Vikings will attempt to turn things around again, but fail once again. South Dakota could probably get an expansion team and still defeat the Vikes. I am really disliking Minnesota sports right now, but they are still better than Wisconsin sports! North Dakota State Univerity defeats the number 14 ranked Badgers, and the Pack go 4-12.