2 slates vie for student leadership

Kristin Marthaler

Kristin Marthaler

Two candidates vie for presidency and shared their views in a debate this last week. Their bios follow.

Running for president is junior agriculture education major Brad Blaha. His goals, if elected, are to reform residence hall policies, make Hobo Days more memorable for all students and create a peer mentorship program for incoming students. Blaha is active in Student Association, Ag & Bio Science Prexy Council, Alpha Zeta, Collegiate FFA/AG Ed Club, Alpha Lambda Delta, hall president.

Running for vice president is junior music education major Katie Jo McGuire. Her goals, if elected, are to reform residential hall policies, make Hobo Days more memorable for all students and create a peer-mentorship program. At SDSU she is active in The Pride, women’s choir, Residential Hall Association secretary, Midwest Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls Conference Choir, MACURH Regional Board of Directors, University Food Service Advisory Committee, Caldwell Hall government, Music Educators National Conference, South Dakota Air National Guard, and SDANG Junior Enlisted Council.

Running for president is junior political science and economic major Alex Halbach. His goals, if elected, are to create a student housing association, make SDSU a leader in campus technology and improve student faculty advising. An Austin, Minn., native, Halbach is active in the Delta Chi Fraternity, is a Senator for the college of Arts and Science, is a teaching assistant for Honors 100 for two years and represented SDSU at two national conferences in St. Louis and New Orleans. He was also active on the student conduct committee, and on the student organization subcommittee, marched in The Pride, and interned at the Mower County with the extension staff.

Running for vice president is junior engineering physics major Kat Brandtjen. Her goals, if elected, are to create a student housing association, make SDSU a leader in campus technology and improve student faculty advising. Brandtjen is active in the Honors college Student Organization, Society of Physics Students, Ceres Womens’ Fraternity, Mortar Board, concert band, SDSU Civic Symphony, she has served as a senator of the Engineering college, AIR committee, student conduct committee, and helped middle and high school students with the basics of physics and engineering last summer.