Switchfoot finally in Brookings

Lucinda Albers

Lucinda Albers

Switchfoot, with opening band Lovedrug, will play at the Brookings Swiftel Center on April 25, thanks to planning from the University Program Council.

Josh Gudmenson, UPC concert coordinator, headed the search and expects the concert to be a sold-out show, as was the Josh Gracin concert held last year which he helped organize. Most tickets available are for SDSU students, and cost $16 with a student I.D. and $21 without.

There is a difference this year, however, as the student- sponsored concert will be held off-campus. There was a conflicting date with the HPER center, and no other venue on campus has enough space for a concert of this size.

“This is a bigger concert, and Swiftel offers more and works better in this situation,” said Gudmenson.

Switchfoot contains five members: Jon Foreman (vocals/guitar), Tim Foreman (bass), Chad Butler (drums), Jerome Fontamillas (guitar/keyboards) and Andrew Shirley (guitar). The San Diego-based band recently released its fifth studio album, Nothing Is Sound, on Sept. 13, 2005. Their last CD, The Beautiful Letdown sold around 2.5 million copies, making it double Platinum. Their 2001 release Learning to Breathe is certified Gold.

The band has had four consecutive sold-out tours, playing more than 400 shows just within the past two years. They have also been very ,active in U2s front man Bono’s, charity organization DATA, which promotes AIDS awareness and debt relief for developing nations. Lovedrug formed in 2002 under Michael Shepard (vocals/guitar/keyboards) and Adam Ladd (bass). David Owen (guitar) and Matthew Putman (drums) joined the group later, and together they were signed to indie label The Militia Group and released their first album, Pretend You’re Alive. They later re-released it under Red Ink/Columbia records.